BY BOY RYAN B. ZABAL / Panay News
KALIBO, Aklan – The province of Aklan pays tribute to 11 outstanding citizens who shine in their chosen fields and for their invaluable contributions to the development of Aklan.
A retired military officer, a businessman, a senior diplomat, three lawyers, two doctors, two engineers and a nurse make up this year's batch of individual awardees highlighting the celebration of Aklan’s 53rd founding anniversary on April 25.
The awardees are:
- Retired Lt. General Pedro Ike Ibarreta Inserto (Military) of Malinao, Aklan, a graduate of Philippine Military Academy Class of 1974 (Marangal) and former AFP deputy chief of staff
- Chief Engr. Jonathan Rogando Salvador (Science and Technology) of New Washington, Aklan, former chief engineer of a bulk carrier vessel, M/V Trimnes, and builder of all steel light craft transport LCT Mighty Sailor
- Atty. Remo Tabuena Alindato (Labor Law Practice) of Numancia, Aklan
- Ellen Bongabong Dioso (Nursing) of Kalibo, Aklan, two-time president of Philippine Nurses Association of Michigan (PNAM) established to foster professional development and mutual support of its members
- Teodorico Tumbocon Haresco, Jr. (Business) of Ibajay, Aklan, one of the Philippine’s leading businessmen responsible for conceptualizing and implementing the President’s Bridge Program
- Engr. Marcial Huerbana Arac (Government Service) of Numancia, Aklan, former District Engineer of Kabankalan, Negros Occidental. He served the government for 45 years.
- Atty. Alberto Reyes Quimpo (Public Service) of Kalibo, Aklan, Commissioner of the National Labor Relations Commission (NLRC)
- Department of Foreign Affairs Undersecretary for International Economic Affairs Edsel T. Custodio (Foreign Service) of Makato, Aklan
- Dr. Nilda Buyoc Tambong (Medicine) of Kalibo, Aklan, current vice mayor of the capital town of Kalibo
- Dr. Lolito Sta. Maria Tumbocon (Posthumous) of Ibajay, Aklan, medical director of The Doctors' Hospital, Inc. in Bacolod City
- Atty. Amelia Acevedo Menez-Zafra (Posthumous-Religion) of Kalibo, Aklan, an active member of the pro-life advocacy and a dedicated member of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines' Women Desk, Sangguniang Laiko ng Pilipinas Episcopal Commission on the Laity and the Marriage Encounter.
The Search Committee is composed of former Aklan Schools Division Superintendent Dr. Reinalda I. Magdaluyo, Rev. Fr. Jose Gualberto I. Villasis of Aklan Catholic College, Dr. Gabriel Delfin of Northwestern Visayan Colleges Institute of Public Policy Studies, Provincial Administrator Atty. Diego M. Luces, Provincial Planning and Development Officer Engr. Roger M. Esto, Museo it Akean curator Sumra Dela Cruz-Rojo, and Aklan Press Club president Dr. Ambrosio R. Villorente.